Geerts got off to a great start on his YZ250FM in race 1 on Sunday. The Belgian missed the holeshot by a whisker. Vialle led the race, with Geerts right behind him. From lap 5, both riders pulled away from the others. The Frenchman was a little bit faster in the first half of the race and made a three second gap. Just when you thought the race was over, Geerts found an extra gear. The Belgian timed his race to absolute perfection and went after the leader again. In three laps time Jago was already breathing down Vialles neck. Geerts immediately opted for the attack: after two attempts on the inside, he passed the Frenchman on the outside. Geerts pulled clear and took the 23rd race win of his career.
The second race was halted after Facchetti's big crash in the first lap, with Geerts riding in second position. Jago got off to another good (re-)start. The vice world champion was right behind Längenfelder and just in front of Vialle, who was pushing a lot. Jago knew he had to strike early and quickly passed Längenfelder to take the lead. Vialle was on his heels immediately and made a successful move in lap 5. Geerts tried to hold on, but was forced to let Vialle go after a small mistake in the berm and because of big blisters on his hands. The Belgian finished second in race 2 and second overall, with the same points as Vialle. Geerts still holds the red plate. He now leads Vialle by 26 points.
#93 Jago Geerts
2nd overall, 1st in championship
"I'm pretty happy with my weekend. On the box again, a race victory and still holder of the red plate. My first race was good. Especially the second part of the race. I found some nice lines and was able to pick up my speed and catch Vialle in the penultimate lap. The beginning of race 2 was also pretty good, but after 10, 15 minutes I suffered from big blisters on my hands. I struggled to control my handlebar."
2. Tom Vialle (Fra/KTM) +0:02.401
3. Mattia Guadagnini (Ita/Gas) +0:31.165
4. Mikkel Haarup (Den/Kaw) +0:31.799
5. Kevin Horgmo (Nor/Kaw) +0:32.170
1. Tom Vialle (Fra/KTM)
2. JAGO GEERTS (Bel/Yam) +0:06.463
3. Mikkel Haarup (Den/Kaw) +0:10.911
4. Mattia Guadagnini (Ita/Gas) +0:26.614
5. Simon Längenfelder (Ger/Gas) +0:38.264
1. Tom Vialle (Fra/KTM) 47
2. JAGO GEERTS (Bel/Yam) 47
3. Mikkel Haarup (Den/Kaw) 38
4. Mattia Guadagnini (Ita/Gas) 38
5. Conrad Mewse (GBr/KTM) 27
1. JAGO GEERTS (Bel/Yam) 137
2. Tom Vialle (Fra/KTM) 111
3. Simon Längenfelder (Ger/Gas) 110
4. Mikkel Haarup (Den/Kaw) 92
5. Andrea Adamo (Ita/Gas) 85